Thursday, November 22, 2007

Snow and old games

I was pretty excited at first, being outside and little bits of snow coming down on me for the first time this winter. But the excitement only lasted a few minutes before starting the several months of waiting for winter to end. Started driving to a friend's house, but only made it partway there before I had to turn back and go home. Well, I didn't have to, but I saw the probability of me with a smashed car rising higher and higher. I was already slipping when stopping and starting at intersections and when turning. Put me in a bad mood cause I'd been really looking forward to getting together with her. I was mad at her for living way the hell far away, I was mad at the weather for being snowy, and I was mad at myself for having procrastinated and still having the summer performance tires on which are super slick and useless on snow. Well no, mad isn't the right word, frustrated is more like it. But I knew there was nothing to gain from that. With the stressful driving (and I slid into the curb pretty hard once) by the time I got home I was suddenly very tired.

Still stayed up late though, got chatting with chris. Through a weird string of topics, ended up talking about really old computers and old games. Watched a youtube video about all the different ways to die in Kings Quest III (1986) (and there are videos about many old sierra games). Those mid-80's Quest games (King's Quest, Space Quest, Hero's Quest, Police Quest) from Sierra were great games! (ok police quest maybe wasn't that great). Forced you to be creative too, had to type in things like "ask about ship" and "rub ointment on self" instead of everything being point and click and answers/options just given to you like in later games. I bet I'd have a lot of trouble completing that game now without the creativity of childhood. I would try with an emulator, but my mind would rebel against the two-decade-old graphics, and would be weird without my brother and childhood friends I shared the adventures with. Hmmm... one of the weirdest things I noticed was how a computer or a program back then could be designed/created by just a couple people, rather than requiring teams of programmers which are of course necessary today. Ooo now thinking of Alternate Reality (1985), that game was really a pioneer. Pretty amazing, way ahead of its time. Though it was designed as a series of games and the sequels were never completed so the initial game essentially became endless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home