Sunday, November 04, 2007

Another good day

Had another great day yesterday, and again it revolved about being outside. In the morning ahd some meetings etc, but in the afternoon, knowing that I wouldn't be flying that evening, I headed out of town. Along the columbia river gorge. Got off the main highway onto a scenic road, and there were some great views, and it was meandering through the forest, and passed by a few waterfalls. At one I went for a walk along forest paths, not knowing how long they'd take, and had a great time being buried in green-ness and smelling the fresh forest air with that extra twist of waterfally taste.

There was an interpretive centre at one lookout point, and one of the paths near a waterfall had some of those signs. It reminded me of being a kid, camping with my family. It was a great time back then. And I was into those signs and stuff too, I was pretty smart and quite curious and such. Sometimes I really wonder what happened, how I lost those traits, and how the mind could reverse so much.

By the time I got to the most famous waterfalls (which was my original destination though I got repeatedly distracted) it was dark. But still lots of people there, it seemed like -the- place to go. I took some photos, and soon felt pretty arrogant about my photo skills. Sure I may have looked like an idiot to do so, but I do pretty good with my compact and lacking a tripod. I felt contempt for the fools who had the flash on and would never see the waterfalls, or those who didn't and would have nothing but a blur. Actually, just joking contempt, I actually felt a little sorry that it is hard to get a good photo in low light conditions, especially getting people as well as background scenery. Oh well, can't capture it all!

In the evening restaurant, I touched a girl. No, not like that! Actually, I essentially elbowed her in the stomach. Or more precisely, she walked her stomach into my elbow. Not hard, she barely even noticed. But it triggered one of those moments where you realise something that seems a bit strange. Like when I was unemplyed and my parents were on vacation and I realised I hadn't spoken a single word for a couple days. Here I realised I hadn't had any contact with a girl for over a month for sure, don't know how long. Had minimal contact with guys, but at least shook a couple hands. I dunno, seems a little weird. Like we're supposed to have some contact with other people, even just like the pat on the shoulder or tug on the arm.

Today, last full day here, I wanted to go out and enjoy the autumn for a bit, cause tomorrow it'll turn to winter. Just go back to the big park in the middle of town where the japanese and rose gardens and arboretum and soo are. But things didn't work out, got delayed, so I got out but it got dark and cool soon after and I had to leave soon. Driving around portland really sucks, there's mega-traffic, and things are very poorly posted. The worst is when it says "I5 turn right" so you turn right, and that's the last ou ever hear of I5, as you soon come to a T-intersection or something with no hint on which way to go. Happens all over the place. Oh and the signs that would tell you which way to go are generally just after the intersection, so most of the time you miss it anyways. Oh, and there's a road called "interstate" which isn't an interstate, that's stupid. Yeah, I'd definitely have to say that's Portland's primary flaw.

A highlight of today... I decided to label a new set of disks as "DrDOOM". It gave me some giggles.

Leaving tomorrow early afternoon, got something I want to do before I go but we'll see if I actually do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home