Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Ghana Glasses-Eater

Well, my spare glasses spontaneously came apart today! Again, completely unprovoked, like with my original glasses. I don't understand it, I don't think I've damaged glasses at home for over 10 years but as soon as I'm in Ghana, they all go to crap! Luckily, this was just a screw coming out for some reason, and I was extremely lucky and found it (actually the british girl beside me on the trotro found it) and was able to put my glasses back together later. But I am having my spare-spare pair coming here with Geoff. They also have clip-ons which is a plus.

Oh how plans will change! And change back again. That british girl this morning convinced me that taking the train would be fine, so I decided to ignore the warnings of the people a couple days ago, and take the train anyways. But then later in the day once I actually went to the train station to buy tickets, it turned out for some reason the train wasn't around, so there'll be no trip tonight. So I had to go quickly to the bus station and hotel and arrange to stay here another night, get a bus in the morning.

Yesterday evening was really great! (how often have you heard me say that?) I went to Vic Baboo's Cafe... looking through the menu was amazing, I was thinking "I want that, and that, and that, and that, ..." There were so many delicious sounding things! A bit expensive, but worth it! Then, I was invited over to a table of 5 girls, since they noticed I was sitting alone. Turns out they are also americans in the same program as the folks I met at Bosumtwi! It was really pleasant chatting with them, they were more my type of people compared to the Bosumtwi people, a bit calmer I suppose you could say. It was especially funny a little later in the evening when the other americans showed up and found me there, i think they're stalking me or something! I even owed one of them a little money and had forgotten to pay him before I went, so i got to pay him back :)

So the food was amazing, and I had good company. Then, to top the evening off, back at the Guestline lodge, I have a cheap super-tiny room, but the bathroom has a HOT WATER HEATER! Wow! Those are such a luxury here. I have gotten used to cold showers, but once in a while the hot water is wonderful. And it's nice to find it in a cheap hotel, where I don't have to pay for extras that I really don't care about like TV, air con, and fridge.

So today I went to Bobiri. It was slightly raining, so I didn't get to see many of the butterflies that place is famous for, but it was still a really nice hike through the forest. I heard from my guide that there is a football (soccer) game on this upcoming Sunday, some kind of qualifier, Ghana vs. Uganda. I got excited, I think that would be quite fun to attend here, and it's the day before I meet up with G & E, in the right place, so therefore seems pretty well scheduled. I considered trying to go to the stadium today to get some tickets, but who knows if they'd be available this far in advance, and I was having enough trouble getting transport back into Kumasi, i didn't want to make an extra stop. Also, if I am to go to that game, it really changes everything about this upcoming week, so I think maybe I'll let it pass. See how things go. If I do head up to Kumasi in time maybe I can get tickets last minute.

Visited the market here in Kumasi, it's ultra-huge, and you can get pretty much anything. I don't actually want anything though, but it was interesting to wander around for a bit.

So now another relaxing evening, think I may splurge for fancy food again, and enjoy another hot shower.

2 Comments:

Blogger Silvenwolf said...

Yay! So it seems like things are finally picking up again which is nice. That and it's nice to see that you're enjoying at least part of your trip.

Hah... sigh, Sheldon comes up with some of the oddest names. We're entered in Sylvan Lake this year as Topmade Surf Dragons. Cept, well, we aren't in the middle of the ocean, so I have to question where the Surf came from. So if Sheldon chose the name, then why'd he ask for our input? *scratching head* ... anyway, we're off to race this weekend. Apparently our boat is powerful enough to be a semi-comp boat.

I'm gonna die tonight - I missed Sunday's prac. Oh well, I'll resurrect myself in time for your arrival back in Calgary :)

10:26 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really should post a comment one of these days. Sounds like your trip has been most excellent. I went camping in BC for a week this summer. You went to Ghana. And are still there. I feel ripped off. There are no wild monkeys to be seen in BC.

Spontaneous glasses explosion... Interesting phenomenon.

If you ever make it back, I have lots of good (bad) kung fu on DVD now... but nothing that matches Ninja Showdown on good ole' VHS

Remember, Good must always triumph over evil...

now go practice!

1:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home