Monday, August 29, 2005

Drugs are bad, mmm'kay

My last post was very rushed, I was in a busy place, had to pre-pay, and wanted to get a trotro soon. Anyways, lets see what did I miss... Oh the reason I said getting the expensive hotel was a mistake is because it was kindof far from city centre... so I had to take taxi to city center, which was especially bad when I had the 4AM bus, the taxi driver demanded megabucks for working that early.

Anyway, Bolga was nice enough, quite hot though. Stayed at the sand gardens hotel, again somewhat out of city center, but walkable. The receptionist was fairly useless when I arrived though, told me some wrong stuff, but that's why you confirm with other people. Went to Paga, played with a crocodile, spent more money than it was worth. Got back to the hotel after dark though, which I'm not too comfortable with... not cause of fear of being mugged or anything, just can't see where you're walking. Met a couple swiss ladies at the hotel, they had been leaving wechiau as I was arriving. Also met some dutch guys, and hung out with them for part of the next day. We went with a local guide to some village, not the official tourist village but similar stuff, to see painted walls and other artistic architecture. Rented bikes to go there which was a good bit of exercise. Later in the afternoon, they went back to the hotel, but I retained the guide to go into the Tongo hills, and to a famous shrine at Tenzug. I must say, I was fairly disappointed. Firstly, the guide misrepresented himself and some fees, secondly there wasn't really much there at the shrine. Essentially a pile of feathers. I'm not sure what I was really expecting, maybe something drawn or carved in the rock at least. But at least the environment around that area was pretty nice. Back at the hotel later, relaxed and chatted again with the dutch folk. The next morning, got up early and got an OA bus ticket to Kumasi. OA isn't listed in the Bradt Guide, I think because they are pretty new, but they are quite good, comparable quality but lower price than STC. The bus left at 3:00 PM, so I just wandered a bit then relaxed at the hotel for the whole rest of the morning. I needed some time just sitting doing nothing.

I arrived in Kumasi after midnight, so I got a taxi to take me around, had to try a few hotels before finding one with vacancies. It was ok but a little expensive. Next morning wanted to change some money, do some internet, but it was early, and Sunday, so noithing was open. So I got the trotro to Lake Bosumtwi. The guesthouse I stayed at there was soo expensive, but the place was by far the most beautiful place I've been so far, landscaped gardens, staying in my own beautiful hut, the lake down the hill a bit, the forested crater walls rising up all around. Can't wait to show photos. Even could swim in the lake, everyone's pretty confident teh water is safe, the austrian owners of the guesthouse have some tested onbce in a while. Yes, it was a luxury experience in my opinion. Six americans showed up as well. They were very american, but I still enjoyed spending some time with them. They are doing a semester of school in Kumasi, sounds like a really neat experience. Anyways, didn't do much activities there, just relaxing, and swimming. Didn't get around to hiking upwards, or biking around, and didn't have enough $$ to stay longer. Also, the owners left shortly after we had all arrived, the place was officially closed for a week while they went to Accra.

Stayed there all morning and some of this afternoon before regrettably saying goodbye. Now I'm in Kumasi, gonna stay a couple nights, go to Bobiri for a day trip tomorrow, maybe visit the market or cultural centre for a while if there's time. I aborted the overnight train idea, some people at the lake very strongly recommended against it, and I let their fear mongering get to me :) So I will take a bus down to Takoradi, and stay at what should be a lovely beachside guesthouse according to several people, called "Green Turtle Lodge". Relax there a few days, then head to Cape Coast for a few days, see castles and Kakum Nat Park and check out some festival happening there, then head up to Kumasi to meet with Geoff and Evelyn.

Wow that's a long post, and I haven't even got to explain the subject line. Anyways, now to be a bit serious, and emotional. I haven't actually been enjoying my time travelling around a huge amount. Sometimes I've been feeling very anxious/nervous, tense inside, sometimes I've almost felt like crying, generally with no reason at all. And I think the explanation of it is the mefloquine (Larium). It's the anti-malarial medicine I'm on. It is known to sometimes have negative psychotic side effects. I took it in vietnam, and was fine, so I'm on it again. I was fine for the first few weeks. But here in Ghana it's a longer trip, I've heard that it's effects can increase with time. Also I'm travelling by myself (which I've also done before and been okay). Also I'm in the least developed country I've ever visited. I think each one of these things alone I can handle fine, but together they have been starting to overwhelm me. I honestly don't think I'd last another few weeks here by myself, I'd change my flight and come home early. I've considered it. But I am confident that once Geoff and Evelyn arrive, I will be okay again. Though I am also looking into the possibility of getting different antimalarial drugs, or even stopping them altogether, though that's a bit dangerous too. Another reason I blame the larium is that the worst mental state was the day after I took the pill. Anyway, that's the deep part of this post.

Beside the mental health, people will be possibly almost glad to know I have finally gotten sick. I guess I'm not quite invincible afterall! It's just a slight cold, throat's been feeling somewhat sore/itchy. It's mainly just an annoyance.

Anyway, off to try the famous Vic Baboo's Cafe for dinner.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you think about it, anti-malarial drugs are posisons you put into your bloodstream, just enough to keep the parasites in check, not enough to kill you. The secret then, is to triple your dosage so you have worse things to worry about like massive kidney failure. If the mood swings get too much, just remember bums with silly string from the black market. Shooting it in peoples ear. And the monkey with Flashdance shaved into its head. THIS IS MY FIRE ESCAPE, NOT YOURS. But seriously, sounds like an adventure like that will out-weigh how you feel when the drugs go. No wait, find my keys, I'm leaving.

2:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home