Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day trips

One day didn't have much to do, ended up another really lousy day. Went to Royal Gorge. It was pretty impressive, apparently the deepest gorge in the world. Can't capture the feeling with photos. Though taking the gondola or bridge across it didn't feel like I was crazy high up. But spitting over the edge took over 15 seconds before losing visual. I wanted to throw a paper plane off, but of course that would be littering, and everyone would be doing it turning the place into a dump. So, I need to invent a completely environmentally friendly paper plane and sell it there. Anyways, the bad part... on the way back, got pulled over by an undercover highway patrolman. My first speeding ticket ever! I was going 76 in a 65 zone apparently. That was one reason to pull me over. The second is that I was cruising along in the left hand lane, and apparently that's illegal, can only enter that lane to pass someone. He was not happy that I didn't have my passport handy, apparently you're supposed to have that on you at all times in the US. He took my license and the rental car registration and was on the radio a long time before coming back and telling me Alberta says I don't have a license there. Also wanted to see my car rental agreement, but I didn't have it. Thought I stole the car or something. Said contacting the rental company wouldn't work cause they don't track things based on the license plate or registration. I told him they usually check the key tag, and gave that to him. Well I guess this time he was able to find out I didn't steal it, and he accepted that I was who I said I was. Apparently he was being thorough because I was "on my way back from the #1 likely terrorist target in southern colorado" or something. Anyways, was a stressful experience and put me in an unhappy mood. At least $77 isn't too terrible a fine. Because of the delay, I got back a little later than planned, early enough to quickly grab food before going to fly, but too late to go to dinner with Paul for the last time before he headed back to Calgary. I dunno, after hanging out with someone continuously for 3 weeks, a little sad to see him go, especially since I got along well with him but not really as much with the other people (and people have diferrent schedules so you're not going out together). Of course it was super late by the time I got back, and then I stayed asleep till 9:30 for once and he was gone. Oh well. I also wanted to send some stuff back to calgary with him. I packed more than I needed for this trip, and got more stuff from intermap along the way, it's really tight to try to shove it all in my suitcase and backpack. I'll know better for future trips.

Yesterday I was to have no evening flight, so I took the opportunity to get out of town again. Was late leaving cause I waited for someone who ended up not coming. Wanted to go up pikes peak (wanted to do this (in our rental hyundai, unlikely) (skip the first minute of the video... minute 3 is good)), but they close the entrance road at 3 pm... guess they want to make sure noones up there at night. But I did find a really cute town called Manitou Springs. It was like a quainter, olde-fashioned version of Banff. And was embedded essentialy in a gorge, everything off the main strip was 30 degree incline roads (felt like more). Was quite nice to walk around a bit, but pretty cold that evening. Also went into Colorado springs for a drive around, it seemed really nice, though I was probably driving through the rich neighbourhood. The college seemed nice too, old buildings with large trees and green spaces. Reminded me of the place in FF8 a bit actually. Though I guess the people wouldn't have been as cool/cute. I'd love to be part of a place like that... or at least my ideal vision of a place like that. So I just hung around there a while till it was dark and I was still quite tired and had to head home to Pueblo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home