Friday, July 18, 2008

An irish accent (5)

Ok, so a couple months ago I mentioned that an american thought I had an irish accent. Well it happened again. Except this time I was actually in Ireland at the time, and it was an Australian who thought so. Very peculiar. Had some work today, I'd held onto our car navigation system to get around but I needed to eventually get it back to germany and this was the best opportunity. Searched Shannon for the fedex. I will miss Jane but I gotta navigate by myself now. Drove a long time to the Hill of Tara, was starting to get stressed feeling lost near the end. That wasn't too interesting, but it was easier to see on a map than my primary destination of newgrange which is a large tomb much older than egypts pyramids and such. But we phoned newgrange from tara and found that all the tours were sold out for the day, which was a major disappointment and defeated the whole purpose of heading to that area. It was also overcast all day and poured on us while walking around the hill. Looked in the visitor centre at Newgrange anyways. Was a pain in the butt finding the hostel as directions were unclear and it had moved. Was also a lower class hostel, oh well. Didn't feel like doing much, but I went out for some pub food as my last dinner in ireland, but after searching all around, even following people's suggestions, I couldn't even find a place that could give me that! Ended up just hitting a burger classic diner type place. There was a jukebox that let me select songs, first chose Abba's SOS, then I saw "pretty little angel eyes". After a few random songs, the radio played the "Sloop John B" which is always a good end-of-work-rotation song. There was a statue outside of a boxer, elevated a bit, would have been perfect to get a photo of me giving him a "cock punch to the soul" (haven't heard that for 2 years, don't know why it popped up in my mind). Yeah I was feeling immature and silly, and if there'd been somewhere to rest my camera on timer I would have done it. Now with spirits back up a bit, I first hit an internet cafe to find out about VAT refunds since I'd heard of such a thing but didn't know anything about them... learned it's only on goods, not services like hotel, too bad, 21% of a couple thousand bucks would have been sweet. Returned to the hostel, watched some CSI and made fun of it then showered and headed to bed. Going home tomorrow morning

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home