Friday, July 18, 2008

Whiskey in the jar (3)

Wasn't really anything to do at the hostel or in the area, so I just looked around a bit then headed west. The Rock of Cashel near Tipperary was quite interesting, and the tour guide is quite valuable. Hit a fancy hotel's parking lot to get some free wireless internet to make some quick work emails, then proceeded on to the hostel in sixmilebridge, near Limerick/Shannon. Visited craggaunowen which is a recreation of an ancient village, some parts were really neat like the "Crannog" artificial island with thatch roof cottages. And another small castle, little castles and big stone churches (mostly abandoned or falling apart) are all over the place in ireland. Went to Ennis and wandered around looking for live music, though it was too early. I got myself lost so by the time I was back to the car it was music time, and found a few people playing in a pub. Here instead of a band performance with big speakers and stuff like I saw in kilkenny, it was just some people around a table, like a jam session. One person would lead and sometimes it seemed the others wouldn't even know the song but would play along anyways. More people randomly showed up and pulled up a seat and joined in as the evening went by. I was thinking about requesting "whiskey in the jar" and guess what? They started playing some song I didn't recognize. But after that I told myself I really should request it, and they started playing again and this time it was my song! Telepathic messages are cool. Had a ways to drive back to the hostel so I headed off a bit early.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home