Sunday, June 29, 2008

Cork-it

When we finally get to the hotel at the end of the day, it's usually mid evening and I just feel like doing nothing. No processing data, no reporting on what we got done that day, no blog, no going out for dinner or looking around, just don't have energy to do anything. Which is stupid, cause I actually do pretty little throughout the day. But forced inactivity seems to drain energy.

I think some good sleep would help too. Last night it was the drunks returning to the hotel at 4 AM shouting and slamming doors and knocking over housekeeping carts and stuff. Couple nights earlier it was the crying screaming baby next door all night.

When I manage to make myself go out though it's usually rewarding. Just walking around makes me feel a bit better. Yesterday I thought the highlight was when I recognized from her accent that the chinese take-out girl was not chinese but was actually japanese, and we chatted for 30 seconds about how she ended up in ireland. Another highlight came soon after, as someone asked me "d'ya have a fag I can buy?" Walking around a bit more I found lots of segments of really old wall and some towers, but they were all fenced off. Later, found a pub playing traditional irish music and hung out there for a while. Decided to try a "smithwicks." No surprise on how that was, but I figured I'd try.

That was Waterford. Now I'm in Cork. Another day in the south, then we'll be heading up northeast somewhere. Somewhere around 10 days left.

I forgot to mention a few days ago someone "released the hounds!" Not really, but we had pulled to the side of the road, and the from villa on the other side of the road a couple hundred metres away we heard some barking and the dogs were heading our way. Took some time for them to finally reach the road, they were coming from so far. Then they stood there across the road barking, we didn't dare exit our car, and the dogs calmed down a bit, but we didn't want them getting smoked by anything coming around the corner. But as soon as we started moving, they got really excited, ran out into the road, almost got smoked, and then were almost getting under our wheels. Stupid dogs. Seems like most dogs are off leash here, walking in the road even in urban areas. Guess the rules are more relaxed or the people less responsible.

Haven't done any driving yet, but will probably have to start soon now we've reached a town where we can add my name to the list. Was feeling fairly confident about it, but about 10 seconds of moving the car in a parking lot today crushed that confidence. Now I just have to hope that I'll adapt and get more comfortable very quickly.

Ok not thinking of much else I wanted to mention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home