Friday, July 18, 2008

Home again

I think 5 days was the right amount of time to remain in ireland after work. Though there are a few things I would have liked to have seen. Would have been cool to watch a hurling game. Also would have liked to have seen the northern part of the republic, up by Donegal. The thing I liked most about ireland? Not sure, probably the music (though sometimes hard to find) and the accent. Thing I hated most, definitely the taps. Having exclusively scalding and icy water is maddening! If I ever go there again, I'm going to construct some tubing with elastic ends that I can stick over the two faucets to combine into one output. Areas I liked most and least, hard to say without having spent that much time, but I would say Dublin seems to be the least irish part of ireland.

Overall quite happy to be back in calgary. It's warmer here than it was the whole time in Ireland. Even as we walked to the plane from the terminal, the chill wind was almost pushing us over as a final reminder and farewell (the rain said goodbye the previous afternoon). I already went out on the reservoir a couple hours after getting back, I got some catching up to do. Just joined some other team that was practicing. That was pretty fun even though it was about 3 AM on my biological clock. Saw Arnold, he didn't recognize me at first. Saw Jay, he tried to make fun of me. Guess it's time to start shaving again. I'd been a bit nervous about driving here again, switching back to this side of the road, but not really cause we have such enormously wide lanes here, and I've been driving this way for many years as opposed to the opposite way being brand new. I found myself drifting right a bit, and I sometimes reached for the gear shift with my left hand and hit the door, but actually the biggest shock I had was that my spec-v performs like a freakin' ferrari compared to what I was driving the last week in ireland! I think that car had a 1.2 litre engine, a very soft clutch and a fairly upright sitting position. My car threw me back in the seat when I tried to pull out from the parking lot, I was shocked. On the way back from dragonboat saw a nice sunset which you don't really see in ireland, and saw some lightning which I also didn't see in ireland despite the rain. Got temple stuff this weekend, and more dragonboat. Right back into the swing of things. Maybe I'll even get out to the mountains sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home