Monday, January 28, 2008

Malaysia and Malta general impressions

Scenery - KK has tropical rainforest. Malta has stone. Which do you think suits me more?

Culture - KK is asian. Malta is european. Which do you think suits me more? Malaysia is officially a muslim country, but in Sabah at least it doesn't seem to be so dominant. And in general, it's probably "milder" islam... people don't seem too cold, people seem to get along pretty well. Malta is quite catholic, but I didn't really notice that too much either, except in the presence of many grand churches. In KK, (not sure if this is "culture") I saw some things that were interesting, things that made me think a bit and question some stuff.

Food - KK is asian, Malta is european. Which do you think suits me more? Wow, I had so much nasi goreng and mee goreng, there actually was a chance that I'd get tired of it sometime. But it was still so good. Usually satay chicken to go along with it. Seafood's good I suppose, but I'm not as into it. And there are other restaurants. In Malta, it seemed mostly italian food, which can be good, but too often is tomato based. Somehow I never saw and tried the national specialty, Rabbit soup.

People - Seemed so much easier to meet people in KK than in Malta. I think part of that is simply that there were so many more people you could meet, while Malta seemed pretty empty. Have to admit, I was probably more interested in meeting people in KK than in Malta, being hte racist bastard that I am. I think somehow in KK people were more interested in meeting me too, which felt nice.

Driving - Driving in malaysia was surprisingly organized. There were lanes that people actually drove in, and stopped at traffic lights. In Malta, driving was different still, roads were just all over the place and often quite narrow. In roundabouts it was effective disorder, everyone seemed to just make their way around wherever they fit in, and it worked well. Much less negativity than there would be in a similar situation here. Oh, and as expected, when I returned home to calgary, I headed straight to the driver's seat when someone picked me up from the airport

Crew - The people I worked with in Malta were fairly fun, but it still seemed like a group of individuals. In KK, it really felt like a team. Other people seemed to think so too, even though they'd been to locations they liked more, they said that this job and the people seemed really good and it was among their best experiences. Of course, people could just be saying those things

Ok guess that's it for now. Compiling some photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home