Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Jump in experience

Discovered Dan was away, so started steering semi comp last thursday. Wow, one of these weekday evening practices is worth the whole season of sunday afternoon practices! Those weeknight steers must be pros by now! (yeah you know who that's directed at) It was such a different feeling... different weather conditions, different level of power in the boat, and other traffic on the water.

Last night's practice started with Sheldon taking a long time to get the boat back to dock since there was so much wind, waves, and current. There were whitecaps and everything. After loading the boat, Arnold said "have fun Scott" with an evil laugh before getting in to paddle. But it was fun! I know dragoneers hasn't had to practice in anything like that this season, not sure about other boats. Even 6 ft above the water, my sun glasses still show the spots from reservoir water being splashed and blown up from the surface. Could barely hear anyone unless they were shouting right at you. I told them "now all you need is some rain and it'll be truly awesome!" They didn't share my sentiment. Anyways, it was fine once we crossed to near the canoe club where the land blocked the NW wind.

Lost control once last thurs and once yesterday, both when doing a wide U-turn at full power, though both I almost completed successfully... I think yesterday's may have been fine if I didn't step on the paddle by my feet. Going down the lanes was not perfectly straight, though I didn't cross into other lanes.

Anyways, I'm starting to believe them when the coaches say I'm ready to steer a boat in Calgary Festival.

Our comp boat usually goes for a loop around the sailboats while Arnold/Charlene debrief the semi-comp. Since Jay wasn't around lately, I took them out. Again, what a different experience! It was like... butter. It's was so quiet and smooth (even when supposedly increasing power), I couldn't believe it. Made me feel pretty proud actually.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup those weeknights can be challenging. We got rained and hailed on last night. I'm glad you feel confident. Are you going to the mini races on Sat?

I've yet to steer a race piece. I am considering trying to steer a race on Sat but will see.

9:02 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home