Wednesday, June 06, 2007

More Assorted

After dragonboat sunday, laying in bed, I could still feel the sway of the boat, it was neat. The same as if you've been on rides at the stampede during the day, or jumping on a trampoline, and still feel those once you're lying in bed at night.

Been sleeping with the window open the past several nights now that it's been warm. I really like having the window open. I'm not sure why specifically, if it's the fresh air, or some extra feeling of freedom, or what.

I got the watt-meter from the public library, and have been testing some things around the house. Of course things like the kettle and toaster are major power hogs (1500 W), but they're only on for a couple minutes at a time. Probably same with microwave. The fridge was less power hungry than I thought, averaged ~55 watts. The deep-freezer uses more (avg ~160 W), but it's pretty ancient. Wanted to test the washing machine, but haven't yet. Same with dishwasher, though we rarely use it. Can't check the clothes dryer or stove since they use 220 V, but I bet they use a lot. I'm not sure what else would significantly contribute to the overall power consumption. My laptop is about 30 W idle, 105 W for heavy processing. The small kitchen TV was about 30 W when on. Haven't tested the bigger TVs. Any other suggestions?

Overall though, electricity is cheap. Perhaps too cheap. Maybe if prices got jacked up, it would encourage people to be more efficient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home