Monday, November 20, 2006

Gargantua6

I've been meaning to do this post for a little while, and now have a great(er) excuse!

So I've heard of Skype for a long time, but didn't think about it much. But some weeks ago, I decided to try it out. So I installed it, and made a few initial test calls... by calling myself (more like my parents cause I let them pick up the phone). It worked fairly well, even though I was using a crappy old mic I found in the cupboard. When visiting Chris sometime, I mentioned it, and he had a spare headset earphone/mic that was pretty good quality that he didn't need, so he gave it to me. Since then, I've used skype a few times... calling Chris in Edmonton to arrange visiting again, calling Martin in Waterloo to chat and plan a game, calling Steph in Toronto for a long chat since it had been so long since last time. And it was all free, and all pretty good quality (not quite as nice as phone, but definitely good enough). So I'm pretty pleased with Skype. I think the free north america is just till the end of the year, not sure how it will be after that. Other disadvantages: Can't walk around like on a cordless or cell phone, cause you're attached to your computer (though I could haul my laptop around with me hee hee!) If the internet or your wireless bubbles, you'll be disconnected. Or if your computer crashes (I was so surprised, it'd never gone down that hard before!) then you got a problem.

Anyways, as for the title of this post... I set up skype on my mom's computer, and she used it to call Travis in Hamilton. Apparently at the lab there were a bunch of them, and on the phone, the call display said "Gargantua6" was calling! I can imagine how funny that would be, who the heck is Gargantua6?! Well, that's the name I happened to think of when setting up skype that time (actually I tried just gargantua but it suggested adding the 6). Ok the Gargantua6 call display isn't sounding as funny when I type it here, but it sure sounded funny to me at the time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Silvenwolf said...

Hehe... if you searched hard enough you'd find me on Skype too. :)

The only issue I have with Skype is that when you're calling a land line with poor reception (say, South Africa), it makes it all that much more interesting to have a conversation.

As for walking around - I finally bought a Bluetooth headset to go with my computer because Andre went and broke all the cheap wired ones I bought. :) Let's hope he doesn't wreck that one anytime soon, but I find the range on it quite limited.

12:45 p.m.  
Blogger Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Nothing, not even Skype, could be worse than Julie's Motorola cell phone at BFMS. At least it didn't like me. I'd typically stand under the Odum tree across the road and have a 15 min phone conversation with Geoff, Bright or Fausti and all I could make out was "Hello, are you there?" most of the time.

4:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home