Thursday, November 09, 2006

Assorted

Haven't felt much like writing blog entries lately, even when I think of things to write. Anyways, lets see what's been up...

I had a major success at work earlier this week. On tuesday, I got a whole ten people to join me for a trek down to Sunny vietnamese for lunch! (what, did you expect something more 'technical' or 'business related'?!) It was lots of fun, and was extra great cause of the wonderful weather we had for that single day.

I finally got to do the Fugro Denmark interview. Two weeks after they said they'd do a phone interview, I contacted them and found their email system had died (it had die a couple weeks earlier too forcing me to resubmit my application... seems like this is a common occurrence) and they'd lost my contact info. So now they have it once more, they tried calling last thursday morning but I was at work so my dad told them to call a couple hours earlier. They said they would monday. Monday came, I was up extra-early, they didn't call. So tuesday I went to work as normal, and they called after I had left again. So they asked for me to call them. So wednesday I was up early again and called them, but the guy was not in his office yet. So thursday, I try again and so finally we get in touch. Overall been a pain in the butt. So we had our little interview, don't know how things will go from here. Though I did learn that if I do end up with that job they would want me in Esbjerg.

A couple weeks ago I interviewed with a company based in houston. It was more like the person telling me about the company than a real interview, and seemed like if I wanted a job I had one, and we'd figure out what it might be later. So I followed up and talked about offshore work. He said they'd send me details of an offer soon, but I haven't seen anything yet. I have started to have some more doubts about whether I'd like that job or not though. I would remain here, just travel back and forth for the shifts. But I realised an offshore field position is completely different than an onshore field position... I like the field idea of working for a few weeks then having a couple weeks off in solid chunks. But whereas onshore, even though you're not home, after work you could explore a bit in whatever place you happen to be. However offshore, there's nowhere to go really, you're stuck on a boat.

I discovered that my contract at intermap has been extended till the end of february. I say I discovered, cause noone really told me, it was from asking HR about what specific day this month it was gonna end that I found it had been extended and noone had told me. So I guess that's a good thing... although I dunno, if I wanted to take another job, maybe it would be bad to leave this project with only a few months left which wouldn't really be enough time for them to hire someone new, they'd just have to make do without me. But maybe other jobs wouldn't want to wait that long for me. And although I like the people at intermap, I'm not that fond of the work (though it's better than it hads been at times).

Another thing to consider is JET... do I want to try to do that again? I think I'll put in my application at least. But then it would be bad to take a new job and quit after 6 months (IF i got accepted to JET) unless it was certain types of jobs. Which is probably what I would look for if I decide to try for JET and stay at Intermap till the contract ends... maybe go shadow an electrician or something, or get one of those crazy oil field jobs where all your coworkers have addictions and a few ex wives and you go insane but make huge money (like some people will retire after just 10 years of work) (got info about this kind of job from Jamie, who couldn't stand it anymore after several months.)

Well it's bedtime again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home