Sunday, March 05, 2006

Magic Ring

So I was thinking of how I was chatting to this girl last week, and she pointed out that we both have the engineering ring. I don't think I said anything interesting in response, but tonight as I the event passed through my mind I made some joke about "Yes, our Magic Rings! Oooooo...." Immediately, some memories popped into my head. Scrubs, where JD and Turk had a box of serial which contained TWO magic decoder rings! Simpsons, where marge tells homer "but only two of us have special rings" and bart and lisa say "yeah!" and blow on their whistle rings and marge says "I meant our wedding rings!" Those memories were perfectly normal, nothing unexpected. But then my mind said:
"Magic Ring,
round and round,
take me flying off the ground,
to a place,
where we can find,
the answers to our hearts deeesire."

What the heck was that?! "me" might have been "us", and "desire" might be wrong, but it was definitely a solid memory. I thought a bit longer, and decided it was a TV show theme from childhood. I then began to picture some girl (live action, not cartoon), with her friends gathered round, and they waved their hands above her magic ring and chanted those words and then teleported to some magic world or something.

Anyways, the thing that strikes me most about this is not even so much that a memory from ancient times suddenly jumped into my head. That sort of thing happens enough to just accept it. I bet even if someone asked me directly "have you ever seen a tv show called 'magic ring' when you were young?" I'd have said "no." The weirdest thing right now is the fact that I've thought of "magic ring" dozens perhaps hundreds of times in the past several years, but not once has the memory of this tv show come into my head.

Crazy incredible brain!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, brains are COOOL!

11:13 p.m.  
Blogger Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Hehe, sounds like some episode of Charmed! :)

11:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the take-home message: Scott thinks about magic rings a whole lot more than the rest of us. ; )

9:57 a.m.  
Blogger Silvenwolf said...

Oddly enough, it strikes some familiar chord deep in my brain...

One other random thought - those rings are specific to North America? None of my Aussie Engg cousins wear one of those...

12:10 p.m.  
Blogger ninjashowdown said...

Maybe residents of a penal colony don't meet the ethical requirements? Just kidding.
The iron ring and the ceremony/oaths etc are a Canadian thing, though the US (and likely some others) have started doing something similar.

My magic ring makes me invisible, but only when noone's looking :)

8:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNOW THAT SHOW!
Nobody else remembers it!
My brother found this thread and sent it to me as I was prompting him to remember the show.

Do you also remember when they had the geometrical shapes and had to fit them on the computer?

9:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Special Report on Production in Western Canada: Kozak on birds and other things" discusses Sherry Kozak, who apparently created "The Magic Ring":

playbackonline.ca/1998/03/09/20967-19980309/?print=yes

There's a magazine out of May, June, and September of 1985, which lists "The Magic Ring 2", a second 13-episode run, as being "On Location", then "On Location", then "In The Can".

cinemacanada.athabascau.ca/index.php/cin...e/viewFile/2870/2913
cinemacanada.athabascau.ca/index.php/cin...e/viewFile/2902/2945
cinemacanada.athabascau.ca/index.php/cin...e/viewFile/2937/2980

Threads I've found mentioning this show:
www.tvarchive.ca/forum/5_tv_show_discuss...magic_ring/reply_to/
forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.p...ndpost&p=4427941
www.rickstv.com/tvo/feedback2009.html
ninjashowdown.blogspot.com/2006/03/magic-ring.html

The other memory I have (which I think is about this show) is about a robot maid named Matilda.

A number of people have pointed out a song:

"Magic Ring,
round and round,
take me flying off the ground,
to a place,
where we can find,
the answers to our hearts deeesire."

8:12 p.m.  
Blogger Gene Packwood said...

It's real. It was made by ACCESS Network in Calgary. I produced and directed it.

9:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's incredible! Is there anything more you remember about it?

8:21 p.m.  
Blogger Blue Sky and Wind said...

We can learn about anything
If we use the magic ring
it's a secret just for us to know!

I wrote the music for all the shows and I have the videotapes ... I believe all 39 shows. :)
Terry McManus

2:15 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was in a couple of episodes, and the actor who played Howdy was my roommate. (Hi, Gene)

1:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home