Friday, March 03, 2006

Car: why?

I was just thinking recently if it's really worth having a car sometimes. eg, I'm paying about $100/month for insurance, regardless of how much I drive. But how often do I use the car? I think I took it to the temple a couple times, but usually I just do the 10 min walk, that's an easy substitution so I won't count it. Otherwise, about 3 weeks ago I drove it... to the car wash and gas station. And prior to that, it had sure been a while. So I used it once in a month, for a trip that wouldn't have been necessary without the car in the first place.

I think the real problem is that I need to get out more. Solve that, and this issue will go away. Can't wait till the summer...

Been thinking whether I should keep it if I go to Japan... it's cool (fob friends always like the red seats) and would be nice to still have when I return, but it seems a waste to have sitting around for a year, and what happens if I stay away for another year or something?

3 Comments:

Blogger Avatamsaka Monastery Choir said...

Unless your parents are going to use it or you're going to let one of your friends pay your insurance and drive it for a year, you're better off selling it. Then you can get something better (with all the money you've saved up from Japan) once you come home.

11:03 a.m.  
Blogger ninjashowdown said...

Something better?! You've got to be joking :)
Oh, and I don't really plan to save much money from JET, so long as I can find worthy things to spend it on.

9:25 a.m.  
Blogger Silvenwolf said...

I can see your point - if I took the train to work all the time I might not bother so much with a vehicle either.

But I do drive to work; 15 minutes vs 1 hr on the train.

There is also a possible agreement where you could sell your car to a friend with the agreement that you would buy it back upon return.

1:04 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home