Thursday, June 16, 2011

Solo living

I'm getting a roommate soon, it will be a little odd to live with someone again. She had mentioned at one point that she had never really lived by herself in the past anyway, having gone from family to various roommates in different places. Another friend in Waterloo mentioned that he'd pretty much always lived with people, except for a few months one summer. When I started thinking about it, I realized that although I had always considered my situation of living alone to be rather normal, it seems like it's actually a rather unusual situation. Having reviewed most of my friends, most either lived with family until they got married, or, had roommates for the whole time in between family and marriage.

Just thought it was interesting.

Partly it's for financial reasons, since about 2006 or so home ownership costs started becoming crippling. But prior to that it wasn't bad. And some people even now are financially quite capable, yet still prefer to live with parents or have roommates. (living with parents is an odd social phenomenon, for some groups it being quite accepted while for others it being completely disrespected).

I wonder if it means that although I've had concern that sharing a living space with a stranger may be less comfortable, by all examples it seems that I should psychologically be better off than before? Lets hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home