Monday, February 26, 2007

Tai Chi New Years

Was the chinese new years banquet at the tai chi club on sat evening, so, for the third or fourth time, I helped out. I considered just getting a ticket and enjoying the evening while other people worked, but figured I didn't really have anyone to sit with anyways and it's always nice to help out. Though a couple of the more fun people from previous years weren't around.

I signed up to help serve. Of course, it's one of the 'cool' jobs. Don't do much while waiting, then take food to people, get to see people and see other stuff going on, chat with people and wander around a bit. But then, I saw there was only Ramona tackling the dishes in the kitchen. I hate dishes. Probably most people do. Everyone just volunteers for the more fun easy jobs (that's what I did!). Oh well, I took off my nice shirt and stuff and headed over to the sink, and spent pretty much the whole rest of the evening between there and the dish cupboards. Jane also got a second dishwashing station goin on which helped out immensely.

Over 200 people eating 10 courses sure produces a lot of dishes. Even with some additional people helping out after all the food was done, we were there till about 1:30. (can't help but feel a little sad the only way I get to hang out with people till 1:30 is by washing dishes.) Went home and headed to bed. When you wash dishes for 5 or 6 hours, guess what you end up dreaming about? More dishes! The next day, your hands still feel like they've been washing dishes! Next time: wear gloves.

So overall, less people to chat to, doing a more unpleasant job, in general less people helping out, think this was the least fun one so far. Less cooks (only 2) meant things went a bit slow, some people had left before the final dishes even arrived. Previous years even got a 'team' feeling of accomplishing something together, didn't feel it this year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Geoff and Evelyn said...

You could've come sit with us!

1:30 p.m.  
Blogger ninjashowdown said...

Had no idea you'd be there till earlier that day. Would have been fun though!

I'd have been like "I can do that! I can kindof do that too! Ohhhh... I definitely can't do that..."

8:30 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home