Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yuri's day

Today was the 50th aniversary of the first human in space. Pretty amazing huh? A half century. Also a little surprising how few people knew this (I happened to hear it on TV), far more people know about the moon landing, simply because it was the single aspect of the whole space race that USA actually won, after losing at everything else.

Anyway, around 10 yrs ago, some people started calling Apr 12 as "Yuri's Night" (cause of Yuri Gagarin, the first human in space).

I was at the university this evening for dragonboat exercise. As I walked through Mac Hall I saw a group of girls in outlandish outfits, silver and glittery and complete with skintight hood. I thought it was a group of astro-buffs having a party and wearing spacey outfits.
So I went up to one and said "Oh celebrating Yuri's Night?"
She said "huh?"
I said "50 yr anniversary of first person in space."
She was like "uh, no, we're here for a dance competition."
I'm sure I had a moment of stunned silence, as I realized I had basically said their dance outfits looked like cheesy movie space-suits! I think I mumbled something about the outfit, tried to recover by asking "oh is that here in the ballroom?" then made my retreat.

I guess I didn't impress anyone with my knowledge of this historic day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home