Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Calgary Dragonboat festival

So many topmade teams, there were few races that didn't have one paddling! I was steering a recreational, paddling the competitive and paddling the mens, pretty busy weekend. Friday just got wristbands and helped set up then went out to eat. Saturday got to steer quite early before the winds picked up, the team had a pretty good time. But soon after it got windy, and rough water. Arnold really kicked our asses regarding our first mixed race, swearing and everything. And then the mens race was totally disorganized, we didn't know who was paddling or which of our two boats we were paddling in until we were on the dock getting into the boats, it was mayhem mayhem mayhem! One mens boat had to go with only 17 paddlers. Afternoon steering was fine despite rough water, the team paddled a stronger race but the time was much worse cause of the water conditions. Paddling mixed in the afternoon was also stronger. Paddling mens in the afternoon was very wet! We must have had a couple extra paddlers worth of water in the boat by the end! Such a heavy boat! Overall the mens division, despite being very intense and posting amazing times, was almost "comic relief" compared to the rest of the races. Saturday felt quite busy, everything was spread out just enough to constantly be racing or marshalling or warming up.

The times were tabulated, the rec team I steer had quite a high ranking, beating out the other rec boats and the second competitive boat, thanks to that morning nice-weather race. We had 5 teams in division B and two in division A. A few others in lower divisions. The second boat in div A I didn't actually know it was part of our club, but I guess it was affiliated. A rec boat, but a very good rec boat! In the morning I had to sub off of steering in order to warm up for the paddling. Didn' treally like that much, and realistically I think I could have done both. From the marshalling tent I saw my boat come in fourth, meaning it might have got in the final, might not have. Tried to put it out of my mind and focus on the comp race. Unfortunately we came fourth, and our time was not high enough to make it to the final. But once on shore I found that my rec boat made it, it was actually faster than the top boat of the other div B qualifier (by 1/100 second). But then, I heard a rumour that some schedules were posted and they listed us in the consolation. It was true! Looked like they'd changed the way teams were advanced. I got my anger on, and went looking to do something about it. But by the time I did, it had already been fixed. Mens race was mid-day, it went similar to the others, came third out of four (fourth being the other topmade mens) so we got a bronze out of it. B-final and A-consolation were back to back, but I decided to steer anyways. Arnold saw me on the dock heading down to steer and suggested I save my energy for consolation paddling, I stared blankly for a moment then stated "I'm steering this race." I didn't get to see any results as I jumped off the boat and onto another, but it was a good race. Later I learned that the winner of the division was one of our other recreational boats, while we unfortunately came in fifth out of six. But that sixth boat was our second "competitive" boat, what an insult to them! I was so excited I wanted to tell people about it and laugh about it, but all I could find were people from that boat and I didn't want to rub it in. Paddled a good race in the division A consolation, and on the way back to shore did not one but two drive-by splashings on our competition! I totally should have had my team do that to our other two teams in the div B final.

Didn't get any team photos as things went disorganized after that and most people left fairly quickly. The weather then got colder and even more people left. Just the team that won a gold and a few others sticking around. Took forever with some speeches and performance in the middle of the medals ceremony. Afterwards, helped take a few boats out of the water onto a trailer for edmonton. And of course, a restaurant, always an important part of the day!

Being a smaller festival than previous years, things seemed more relaxed. Not sure if I liked it particularly more or less than other years, but at least I felt more involved.

I was noticing that it was a little funny, I probably steered more practices than the youth's official steersman, and paddled more with rec-F than most of their official paddlers. Wonder if I'll get to join their wrap-up dinners. Well, youth doesn't really matter, but I really enjoyed some of the rec-F team.

As always, kindof sad, cause I won't see much of most people till next year. But then, with some, I probably shouldn't want to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home