Friday, May 23, 2008

Lincoln

My last couple days in richmond, I learned of a 'trendy' part of town, and of an old theatre they had there. It turned out to be super cool really old theatre with giant chandalier and a Wurlitzer pipe organ that gets played before saturday shows. So I went both nights, didn't really have anything better to do. I had tried to talk to a couple strangers, but they weren't very receptive. The girl taking the tickets at the theatre was pretty friendly and fun to talk to for a while. The benefits of having a 'captive' audience.

Anyways, as mentioned, I'm in Lincoln now... haven't really done anything yet. Actually it's been almost two weeks and not much to say. The first few days here were busier than the previous two weeks with work. Finally got a couple 2AM phone calls, ruining the "perfect" streak we had going. One of my King Air pilots showed up so that's good, he got to switch to the lear to stay with Intermap. Anyways, nebraska is pretty flat. Occasional trees. I got drained by the intense sun and high heatwhen I went jogging a couple times. Amazing how much water you lose. (like a few litres in under an hour). Walking around a park one evening was about all the excitement here. Oh, I saw some fireworks one night, I think it was cause there was a baseball game. At the time I was eating some birthday-cake ice cream with cookie dough mix-in, it was devastating.

One of the best things actually is the housecleaning staff. Instead of the usual sullen ladies that most places have, this place has smiling friendly vietnamese ladies. It's such a world of difference even to have people saying "Hi!".

Another nice thing is the robin on her nest near the office window.

Any work rotation is incomplete with bloging about rental cars. It's USA so everything is automatic. Richmond was nice cause I had a civic. Lincoln has a dodge charger or some such awkward beast. Oh how the gas pump kept going and going. So many reminders why I stick with compacts. It's frustrating here we're sharing a car, which was fine overseas but this is USA where you can barely leave the hotel without a car. I'm sitting here waiting for them to come back from lunch so I can go do work.

A week left...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home