Thursday, March 05, 2009

EV

Somehow last night the thought popped into my head and I got quite interested and excited about the idea of performing an electric conversion. Get an old car of some kind, get a conversion kit, talk to some mechanic friends and relatives, and do that as a project sometime then drive around in an electric vehicle! Sounded like something that would be interesting, and while the cost of doing it wouldn't really offset the savings, it would still be cool. Was reading some things about it, but then suddenly a new terrible thought entered my head. Look out the window and you'll realize the problem. Cold. Coldness reduces the effectiveness of batteries in a general sense, so you'd be going much slower and shorter distances. Coldness (or at least going back and forth between cold and warm) also reduces the overall lifespan of batteries so you'd have to replace them more often. Thirdly, to heat the passenger area you'd have to draw a lot of current, using up your battery power even more quickly. Guess it's not so feasible here. (though I do remember there's an electric saturn living in scarboro, wonder how that guy does?)

In a general sense I've considered the first part of that plan though... getting a mid 90s tercel or something for cheap. I still really like my car, but most of the time I'm away and not using it, so what's the point of having a nice car that's not getting much use. Also, even when I was here full time, I put less than half the "average" milage on it, so it's still a very low milage vehicle, but as a car gets older I think the value of that becomes less and less. Also being a sportier car, as society trends towards more and more power is base models, older sportier cars are less impressive. Lastly, a smaller engine gives better fuel economy. But, overall I get a bit attached to things like cars, and it can be a hassle buying and selling, so I might just stick with what I got.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home