Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ramayana

Some time ago, I decided I should read "Journey To The West", one of the most wellknown pieces of literature in east asia. Couldn't find it though (my Tai Chi place seemed to have volumes 2 and 3 but not 1), though I found a few general Monkey King tales. Anyways, when I was in San Fran in september, I went to the museum of asian art, and discovered many scenes from the Ramayana, and learned that it is perhaps an even more fundamental and well known story for most of asia. So I resolved to learn it. Unfortunately, procrastination got its way, and I never got around to it when I should have. During my recent time in asia, in multiple temples and palaces, there were again scenes from Ramayana. In fact, in two such places, there were incredible murals, a continuous painting along the entire hundreds of metres of wall surrounding a site. And the way they were done was amazing too, rather than individual frames, the scenes continuously flowed into each other. Unfortunately, as I hadn't gotten around to learning the story, the contents of these magnificent pieces of art were meaningless to me, except the most important battle scene. Alas, it's too late for that now, but I have started reading it, and am enjoying it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home